Friday, December 01, 2006

Portable software for USB drives

PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

To heck with ultralight laptops...what if you didn't need a laptop at all...just put all your apps onto a USB stick. Now, that would be portable. I've wondered about doing this for a while now. Well, this might be the push that I've needed to try this out.

This would be particularly great for traveling...I'm getting kinda tired with airport security and their inconsistent practices...turn it on, turn it off, battery removed or not, put in same basket as jacket or not...or my favourite...just turn it on so we can see a little light come on somewhere. What kind of security is that? If I had the smarts to build something nasty into a laptop or other electronic equipment, I would also likely have the smarts to make an LED light up when I pressed the On switch. How brainless is that.

As that whistleblower on CBC pointed out last week...the vast majority of security measures at airports are purely cosmetic...just being seen to be doing something. Sigh.

Anyway, this might help with those situations where security is being more picky than usual. They are not likely to disallow a USB drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home